All available over the counter no prescriptions required.
– Two (2) Dulcolax tablets (laxative not stool softeners)
– 238 gram bottle of Miralax powder
– 64 ounces of clear fluids (Gatorade, Water, Apple Juice, Crystal Light, Tea or any clear fluid) NO red or purple varieties.
FIVE DAYS PRIOR TO EXAM
Five days prior to exam begin to decrease the residue in your diet. Refrain from eating nuts, seeds, corn, popcorn, raw fruits and vegetables. Discontinue fiber supplements, such as Metamucil, Citrucel, Fiberall, Benefiber unless taken to facilitate bowel movements (You may have canned fruit; boiled, steamed or cooked vegetables but not raw).
Foods ALLOWED five days before the procedure:
– White bread, pasta and noodles, white rice, potatoes without skin
– Canned or well-cooked vegetables without seeds or skin
– Canned fruit or fresh fruit without skin or membranes
– Tender meat, chicken or fish
Foods to AVOID five days before the procedure:
– Any food containing seeds, nuts or popcorn
– Raw vegetables with a skin, seeds, corn, broccoli, cabbage, dried beans or peas
– Whole grain bread or pasta, brown or wild rice, cereal such as oatmeal, shredded wheat and granola
– Fruit with skins
– Tough meat with gristle
– Fatty foods
DAY PRIOR TO EXAM
You are required to be on a clear liquid diet the entire day. No solid foods are allowed. Clear liquids include: water, juices (including orange, grapefruit and lemonade without pulp), tea, coffee, broths, jello, and popsicles. Excludeany fluids containing red or purple dye/food coloring.
4:00pm– Take the two (2) Dulcolax tablets with at least 8 ounces of water.
6:00pm- Mix the 238 grams of Miralax in 64 ounces of clear liquid of your choice. Shake the solution until the Miralax is dissolved. Drink an 8 ounce glass every 10-15 minutes until 5 glasses of the solution are consumed. Refrigerate remaining mixture.
You may continue drinking CLEAR liquids until midnight. Nothing after midnight except 2nd part of prep as directed below.
DAY OF EXAM
Four hours prior to your scheduled arrival time drink the remaining 3 glasses of the Miralax solution. Drink an 8 ounce glass every 10-15 minutes until solution is gone. You may take your morning prescription medications as directed the day of the procedure with sips of water only. Any other liquids the morning of test may result in cancelation of your procedure.
EXCEPTIONS: Notify physician or nurse if taking medication for diabetes (oral or injectable) and/or anticoagulants (“blood thinner” such as Coumadin, Warfarin, Heparin, Plavix, Ticlid, ect.) for further instructions.
With any questions, please call us at (281) 394-0266, or contact us at our Patient Portal.